What Law School Feels Like

I would be lying to you if I said law school didn't sometimes feel like THIS. Sometimes you feel like a complete and total moron and you toss your cookies after class. That's just how it is. (I have never actually vomited due to law school, only metaphorically.)
(By the way, that clip is from the movie The Paper Chase, which is fabulous and hilarious, except if you watch it the night before you start law school. In that case, it might drive you to a nervous breakdown, but that's all hypothetical.)
Seriously though, if you ever have woken up and thought to yourself, "Man, I feel too dang smart. I think I something to come along and show me wasssuppppp." Then you might need to go to law school. If you ever wanted to feel like a bonafide idiot, then by all means, join me here at law school. I am halfjoking-halfserious here.
I would also be lying if I didn't tell you that I completely and totally love law school. Yeah, it's hard. Harder than anything else I've ever done. It makes all my undergrad study look like doodles and fingerpaints. Am I SURPRISED by this? No. Not at all.
The thing about law school is that, to me, it is the ultimate of knowledge. To me, and my masochistic, workaholic brain, it is the most delicious buffet of learning. It's fascinating. It's thrilling. I am learning the LAW. Which is ever complex and never clear. And it's just so darn compelling that way. Law school is all I ever wanted. I blow through my reading every night and I enjoy every second of it.
And I have been told by many law school grads and my fellow law students alike, that it gets better. You are supposed to feel stupid and lost your first year. That's totally normal.
I can't even tell you how much I have learned since I started just one month ago. A month ago, I wouldn't have been able to tell you what a tort or a unilateral contract meant, or what constituted a battery in the torts system as opposed to the criminal system. But now I can. Everything, everything is a law suit waiting to happen. And people sue each other over some crazy stuff that doesn't even make sense. And it's awesome. It's empowering to be learning all this stuff that is 100% applicable to real life. Because I am studying real life. And I would not trade it for anything.
Most mornings I wake up and feel like THIS. Law school. It makes me roar. But in the good, I-feel-powerful way.
This is my empowered and studious face.
And I wouldn't ever feel that way without my darling husband, my Mackaroon, to always be there to encourage me and support me and bring me caffeine and gummies when I am at the library till all hours of the night. Thank you for being my constant support and love, baby.
He's my sun, he makes me shine.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Meet The Authors

We are Mack and Lauren.
Not too long ago we met, fell in love, and got married.
This is what happened after.